Friday, November 25, 2011

A Great Article


It's amazing that this article hits on a topic I've been thinking about and was hoping to get some words down about soon, right down to the example of "Country Girl (Shake It For Me)" being a song I don't particularly like, yet that doesn't mean I can or should criticize it or someone who loves it. Of course, the article says everything better than I could have said it (I will be bookmarking it and learning from it, to be sure). The writer of the article, Peter Cooper, states that no one can be completely objective when it comes to music or art; I'll take that one step further and say that everyone is and indeed always will be subjective when it comes to what they "like." There are those who get their kicks by being musical elitists, judging everything they don't like as stupid and worthy of the bottom of the trash heap. But there are others who realize that to have an opinion about music doesn't mean you have to be a snobby jerk about it; to have a desire to write about music doesn't mean you have to be a critic who comes down ruthlessly on anything remotely light-hearted or anything that comes close to breaching the mainstream. It is a truly great article.

Peter Cooper on Music: Be thankful for music (both kinds) (The Tennessean)

Speaking of this topic, I'm hoping to start writing about each individual song on the top 30 country radio charts. I'll include about five or ten mini-reviews in one post. We'll see what happens, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not as cynical about the state of country radio as much as many seem to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment